Sunday, May 29, 2016

Fancy Spuds 'n' Sauce


During the last week on the Food Network, Bobby Flay and Ina Garten both made potatoes with aioli. I'm always up for spuds 'n' sauce, but these recipes looked fancy-- more grown-up and gourmet. Ina Garten used fingerling potatoes in her recipe, and Bobby Flay used small new potatoes in his recipe.

Having read both recipes and a few others online, I figured out how to work with what I had in the pantry. I took two Russet potatoes and cut them into long spears, similar to thick-cut steak fries. Each medium size potato yielded eight spears. Next, I tossed the potatoes lightly in extra virgin olive oil, seasoning with kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. Then, I oven-roasted them for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees, turning once midway through.

When they were done, I turned off the oven and left them in while I made the aioli. I approximated Bobby Flay's recipe with mustard, mayonnaise, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. His recipe included fresh tarragon, chives and flat-leaf parsley, which would be a superb addition. Even without the herbs, it was amazing, perfect as an appetizer with a glass of red wine. Best news of all, there are leftovers!
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment