Saturday, August 20, 2016

When your Pineapple Salsa Goes Wrong, Make BBQ Pork Short Ribs


I just made the best barbecue pork short ribs, even though I'd never made them before. The whole thing was kind of an accident, but also a good kitchen save.

The other day I decided to make pinepple salsa. It didn't go so well. The ingredients were good, fresh pineapple, jalapeno, cilantro, green onion, salt and pepper. Unfortunately I was lazy, used the food processor and went too far. After looking at the soupy result, I thought maybe I could use it as a pork marinade.

So, I went to the market, and came back with boneless pork short ribs. Somehow, that made sense, even though I'd never cooked them before. I googled a few recipes and eventually added some ketchup, brown sugar, cider vinegar and sriracha sauce to the marinade, along with some low sodium Hawaiian soy sauce. After cutting the rib meat in 4-inch long pieces, it went into a Ziploc bag with the marinade, and into the fridge for 24 hours.

When fully marinated, the ribs went into a Pyrex baking dish, snugly arranged, and the marinade was poured over top. The baking dish was covered with foil and the whole thing went into the oven for two hours at 300 degrees. After two hours, the foil was removed and most of the liquid removed with a ladle. Then, back in the oven uncovered for 30 minutes to brown on top.

I'm so glad I didn't pitch the pineapple salsa gone wrong. The short ribs were so good, I had to leave the house to avoid eating the whole batch. It was so good, I said, "I can't believe I actually cooked that." Or, as they might say in Hawaii, "Ono! Broke da mouth!"
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment